Wednesday, January 24, 2007

readings for 1/24

I really enjoyed the first three chapters of LeDoux’s book. He clearly laid out various different perspectives on several psychological disciplines and supported them with examples of studies that had been preformed. I found it interesting how many theories, over time, were put to rest and then reapplied and transformed many years afterwards. One concept I found myself struggling with (as I’m sure others do) was the issue of subjectivity. Because "emotions are notoriously difficult to verbalize" (71), how can one be certain that any of the tests done are valid? I think there tends to be an egocentric view as far as emotions go, and that we don’t always realize someone else’s interpretation of emotion may be entirely different than ours. On a more technical level, I was curious as to how, exactly, the split brain experiments were done; is it really possible to send information to only one section of the brain and how is this actually done?

No comments: